Holy Trinity Church
Holy Trinity Church

Holy Trinity Church

Holy Trinity memorial church to the Reformation, built 1709-1725. This was previously the site of the Guildhall (Haus zur Münze – House of Coinage), called the 'world's most beautiful house', which was destroyed in 1689 during the Nine Years' War by troops loyal to Louis XIV.

The church was built at this location because the citizens of Worms believed it was here that Martin Luther had stood before the King in 1521. Destroyed during a bombing raid in 1945, the church was restored to its former glory in 1959.

Dreifaltigkeitskirche am Marktplatz (Foto: R. Uhrig)
Dreifaltigkeitskirche am Marktplatz (Foto: R. Uhrig)
Trinity Church Worms, interior
Trinity Church Worms, interior
© Fotograf: B. Bertram
Trinity Church Worms
Trinity Church Worms
© Fotograf: Rudolf Uhrig
Worms around 1521, area of today's Holy Trinity Church, at that time the "Haus zur Münze" stood here; 3D rendering by FaberCourtial
Worms around 1521, area of today's Holy Trinity Church, at that time the "Haus zur Münze" stood here; 3D rendering by FaberCourtial
© 3D-Rendering von FaberCourtial

Ludwig Seekatz, an artist from Worms, created a monumental painting for the newly constructed Trinity Church in 1733, depicting the scene before the Imperial Diet in 1521. The painting was hung above the gallery on the western wall of the church, where it was enclosed in a frame made of plaster.

Its signature identifies the artist as Johann Martin Seekatz. J. M. Seekatz (born 1669 in Grünstadt), father of Ludwig Seekatz, accepted the commission to paint the church in 1725. But he passed away in 1729. His son continued the work in the name of his father. The painting was restored in 1817 by Philipp Christian Seekatz, a nephew of Ludwig Seekatz.

It was destroyed in the fire that burned down the church in 1945. A watercolour remains preserved (gouache – original 31 x 39 cm). There is every indication that this painting is the work of Philipp Christian Seekatz, who will have created it during his restoration of the large-scale work. But some details of his watercolour differ from the original, the most striking of which is the architecture: The engraving by Remshart and the painting in the church show the pilasters on the walls, the cornice above the windows and the cupola ceiling to be richly adorned.

In contrast, Philipp Christian Seekatz reduced all of these features to classicist lines and forms. A modern mosaic by Walter Eglin (Basel) entitled "Luther before the King and the Realm" now hangs in place of the former painting in the reconstructed Trinity Church. A memorial plaque attached to the north-eastern wall of the choir in the Trinity Church commemorates the magnificent Guildhall once located here, which together with the Burgher House (Bürgerhof) formed the administrative centre of Worms. Its destruction was perceived as divine retribution, prompting the city to build Trinity Church at precisely this location during reconstruction.

Today the walls of the church are adorned with letters, fashioned in clay, depicting the Apostles' Creed and Luther's statement on its content.

Datenschutzhinweis

Unsere Webseite nutzt externe Komponenten (Youtube- und Vimeo-Videos, Google Maps, booking.com). Diese helfen uns, unser Angebot stetig zu verbessern und Ihnen einen komfortablen Besuch zu ermöglichen. Durch das Laden externer Komponenten können Daten über Ihr Verhalten von Dritten gesammelt werden, weshalb wir Ihre Zustimmung benötigen. Ohne Ihre Erlaubnis kann es zu Einschränkungen bei Inhalt und Bedienung kommen. Detaillierte Informationen finden Sie in unserer Datenschutzerklärung.