In Worms, once the capital of the Nibelung kingdom, history can be experienced from close up and everywhere. This is where queens quarrelle, where emperors held court and where writings were defended. Settlement in the Worms region dates back 7,000 years. The Celts gave Worms its oldest name, "Borbetomagus", and the Romans built a fort here and brought wine growing to Worms. The Alemanni and the Franks, both Germanic peoples, have also left traces of their presence.
The silhouette of the city is dominated from afar by a landmark that is one of its important sights: the Romanesque Cathedral of St. Peter.
Built in 1904 to plans by Georg Metzler and in the shape of the inner city gate of the same
name(destroyed in 1689).
Luther entered the city through Martin’s Gate, and this spot is marked today by a building dating
from 1904 bearing the name “Martinspforte” on its decorated façade.
Luther’s route from Martin’s Gate (below right) took him straight on along what is today
Kämmererstraße, past St. Martin’s Church (over 1000 years old) and St. Lampert’s Church (no longer
in existence) to his lodgings in the Seminary of St. John.
Always accessible from the outside
The town hall in its present form was inaugurated in 1958. A special feature is the astronomical clock located in the town hall tower. The late medieval town hall, the Bürgerhof, an armoury, stood since the 13th century in the Hagenstraße. Council meetings were also held here. During the Palatinate War of Succession in 1689, this building and the neighbouring mint were badly damaged. After the makeshift repair of the Bürgerhof and the overbuilding of the former mint with the Holy Trinity Church, Worms only received a representative town hall in 1885, which existed until its destruction in the Second World War.
The memorial to the victims of fascism was ceremoniously unveiled in 1950. The square on which the memorial stands was named Otto-Wels-Platz on 24 March 2013 after the German Social Democratic politician Otto Wels, who gave the last free speech in the German Reichstag after the NSDAP took power. It is intended to keep alive the memory of the victims of National Socialism.
This Romanesque basilica with three naves was the collegiate church of the former seminary
Andreasstift and is today one of the city museums. It was badly damaged by fire in 1200 and again in
1689 and restored around 1761.
In the course of secularization, the seminary was dissolved in 1800 and the church used for secular
purposes. Arches that had previously housed windows were used as entrances and exits by the
horse-drawn carts of the Worms fire service, which was based in the former church. The city’s hearse
was also kept here.
From 1930 on, the building has housed one of the city museums. For further information, see the
The medieval Church of Our Lady is surrounded by vineyards. Built in the Gothic style from 1276 on,
an inscription on the building gives 1465 as the date of completion. It served originally as a collegiate
church, and the citizens of Worms were actively involved in its construction. Of the many Gothic
churches built in Worms, this is the only one that remains.
The surrounding vineyards and their wine, take their name from this church. The original Liebfrauenmilch (the English name is often “Liebfraumilch”) is still produced from grapes grown near the church (Liebfrauenstift-Kirchenstück).
The Luther Church in the western part of the city centre was built between 1910 and 1912 to plans
by Prof. Friedrich Pützer. The exterior shows clear similarities with the Darmstadt Art Nouveau style and its sparse ornamentation. A frequently repeated feature is the Luther Rose. The church’s interior
furnishings are the work of, among others, Varnesi, Habich and Riegel.
Construction of this three-nave pillar basilica began in the 12th century. It is dedicated to Saint
Martin of Tours. The church stands on the site where, according to legend, St. Martin was once
imprisoned in a dungeon. Until the 15 th century, it was the last resting place for members of the
family Kämmerer von Worms, called von Dalberg, who owned property nearby in Kämmererstraße.
Scarcely any of the original collegiate church building remains. An inner courtyard with
Mediterranean flair is an ideal place to linger and rest.
The Friedrichskirche in Römerstraße was built by the congregation of the Reformed (i.e. Protestant)
Church (authorized in 1699) with financial assistance from Prussia (Frederick the Great is named),
and was in use as a church from 1744. It is a simple hall church and has a small tower with bells. On
the northern side is the former school and parsonage of the Reformed Church. The “Red House” to
the south of the church, formerly the “Bürgerhaus” and dating from 1624, is today the community
centre of this Protestant church.
This fountain was donated by Cornelius Wilhelm von Heyl, and planning began as long ago as 1890.
City architect Hofmann was assigned to the project, and the site chosen was Hagenstraße /
Marktplatz near the Holy Trinity Church. The idea was not taken up again until much later – and this
time for a much smaller fountain. Following delays due to the war, the Siegfried Fountain was
installed in 1921. Unlike the Cornelianum, the Siegfried Fountain survived bombing during the
Second World War practically unscathed.
The Wheel of Fate fountain on Obermarkt illustrates the ups and downs in the long and eventful
history of the city. Historical events and people who lived in the town, joie de vivre and outstanding
events feature in this artwork. The gift of the local energy provider EWR and citizens of Worms, this
bronze fountain was designed by Gustav Nonnenmacher, an artist from Worms.
The Winegrowers’ Fountain is considered to be the centre of the pedestrian zone Kämmererstraße.
Dating from 1983, it is the work of Gustav Nonnenmacher, a sculptor from Worms, and presents the
cultural history of wine growing from Father Noah to the Greeks and also the process of wine
The Justice Fountain was built in 1778 in the Late Baroques style and stood at first on the present site
of the Siegfried Fountain, where it served as a water source. At the top stands the figure of Justitia,
with representations of Neptune and Hercules at the side of the fountain.
Like the Wheel of Fortune, the Song of the Nibelungs Fountain in Wilhelm-Leuschner-Straße
(pedestrian zone, called “KW” by those with local knowledge) and on the corner of Rathenaustraße,
is the work of the Worms sculptor Gustav Nonnenmacher. It depicts scenes from the famous
Take a look in the map.
Wenn Sie auf diesen Bereich klicken, wird eine Anfrage an den externen Anbieter gesendet. Datenschutzhinweis